Saturday, January 19, 2008

I told T, the long-lost guy I met in college on a plane who recently resurfaced, that I didn't want to do whatever we're doing. Not that we're doing anything, since he lives on the west coast and I'm in the middle of the country. But that the past -- where he came and went from my life, where he had this unrealistic view of my Midwesterness, where he never actually pursued me when he had the chance -- had lead me to decide we don't have a future.

The thing is, he was always straddling the fence with me. And the past was repeating itself. He wanted to be a friend, but he never stayed in my life long enough to become a friend. He wanted to talk on the phone, but he didn't return calls. His actions didn't match what he was saying.

I don't need that. I don't want to be a place holder between girlfriends. I deserve better.

So right now, in this moment in my life, I'm taking a stand. I told him we don't have a future.

And that clears the path for me to find someone to have a future with.

No comments: