Sunday, December 02, 2007

my poor, frozen ears

I am loosing my steam this weekend. And to be fully honest, it has a lot to do with the frostnip my ears got on Wednesday during my lunchtime run. In my infinate wisdom, I ignored the white skin on the tips of my ear and the stinging sensation until yesterday. That's when I googled frostbite and found out about frostnip, and how you're suppose to apply a hot washcloth to the area to revive it.

I can't believe I've lived 25 years, the vast majority through Minnesota winters, and I've never really thought about this before.

Yes... I know...

It snowed 6.5 inches yesterday, although 13 inches was predicted. I skipped attending a babyshower, even though it was only a few miles away. If I had snowshoes I probably would have trecked there. I know I have new tires and new breaks, but I do not have 4-wheel drive and my emergency lights do not work. Memories of the last three years kept me at home: getting stuck at a right-hand turn; not turning left fast enough ang almost getting hit a few times; going into the ditch (although that one wasn't actually my fault; I wasn't driving); and striking a car that spun out infront of me.

I'm getting conservative in my old age! I even skipped spinning (before the snow started) for the fear of having to get my car the mile home if it piled up too high to fast. (That's what happened when the car ahead of me spun out). It was a weird, semi-lonely but semi-nice-to-be-alone day. I vegged out, baked some pitas and watched Bones and some other shows online.

I also ran 2.5 miles yesterday at the apartment gym and basically died the whole way. It was not very fun. And the treadmill made weird creaking noise the entire time! I also assessed some of the weight machines, which seem to be in good working order. Most of the machines are actually two in one, which surprised me. So many that's what I'll start doing on my lunch workouts.

Today I already dug out my car and went grocery shopping -- I bought way more flour and sugar and butter than I really need for cookies, but oh well. 'Tis the season, right? Now I'm considering if I should run outside or go to the gym and do the treadmill (ugh) or the eliptical and some weights. I have a 5k in a week -- I really should run outside... But my ears... I don't want them to get worse....

No comments: