Wednesday, December 13, 2006

a healthier me

Two years ago I lost 45 lbs, and now I'm struggling with the last 5-10 lbs I want to loose. I'm hoping this blog will keep me on track in my weight maintenance.

I recently completed a 5k in 33 minutes, something I'm very proud of. I've been exercising 3-4 times a week and eating relatively well until recently. The holiday season is throwing me -- I must have eaten 2-5 Christmas cookies a day for the last two weeks! And with D coming home from Guard duty in less than a week, all a sudden I'm panicking.

I told myself I would loose those last few pounds while D was on deployment the last two months. His leaving during Christmas will mean one-third of his deployment is behind us, so (technically) I have until April to get into the shape I want to be in.

But instead I've gained about 3 lbs since he last saw me! I know he won't care, and I may be the only person who notices, but it's disappointing. I want him to look at me at the airport and say, damn! My girlfriend's hot!

I don't know why those last few pounds mean so much, but they do. Despite my fitness goals -- the 5k one being a large accomplishment -- I really want to be 125 lbs. Okay, 120 lbs. Even better if I'm 115 lbs. Mostly because I want to be a size six. I've even put off buying new clothes!

The largest thing I need to focus on is the moment. How hungry am I? Am I eating because the cookies are there, or because I'm actually hungry? Am I eating because I'm sad or anxious or nervous?

I good trick that's so hard to implement is the 1-10 scale of hunger. If you're at 10, you're too full and it hurts. if you're at 1, you're starving and will eat a whole pizza. At 5, you're full but satisfied. The trick is to never eat above a 6, or below a 3.

In college this helped a lot ... now the trick is to follow my own advice!

No comments: