Friday, December 29, 2006

fast food vs. healthy food

I was really tempted to get fast food for lunch today. Of course, being a veggie my "fast food" is usually a cheese sandwich at a sub shop and chips. It's not bad, but it's exactly healthy either.

But, in favor of saving a few bucks (and remembering all the dollar signs I dropped at the grocery store the other day) I instead came home. I fixed myself a cup of canned soup and a chick-pea and cheese sandwich on wheat bread.

While I still had cheese -- which I would have eaten anyway -- overall I believe I made a healthier choice. The soup was low sodium and fat free, and hopefully that will keep me feeling full through dinner. And wheat bread is always better than white. And the chick-pea pattie means more protein than cheese alone.

It's a small decision, and I doubt I saved calories. But I believe I chose better calories -- ones that are better for me, and will keep me full longer, so I don't get plagued with the munchies!

And the cup of soup? Well, I read about that in a magazine. Supposively a cup of soup or a salad before a meal makes you fuller and eat less overall. It's worth a try! :-)

No comments: