Tuesday, May 29, 2007

my feet

I've been on blogger hiatus due to my late realization that I need to take care of my feet and some personal things I'm not going to get into here.

I saw my aunt the pediatrist over the weekend and she diagnosed me. I've injured my plantar fascia ligaments and they're inflamed. Apparently I have a low arch, and the half marathon coupled with my horribly unsupportive yet cute sandels have made it worse.

So I'm on my second week of my running break.

1. Because I don't want to be in pain.
2. Because I really like running and want to be able to do it pain free.

So there are some things I need to do before I lace up my shoes again.

1. Ice
2. Flex/stretch

And things to buy/try out:

1. Inserts
2. Supportive sandles
3. Trail running shoes.

And hopefully I'll be back running by either this weekend or next weekend.

In the meantime I've been swimming more (cough some) and biking more (yay!) than I have been. I've been back to spinning class twice and this weekend I biked 11.5 then 12.5 miles (in an hour each) with my brother Joe. So much fun! I want to go 10 miles on a new trail I've read about with D this weekend.

So yes, running is on hiatus. But I'm staying busy with the cross training. (And being good -- I'm even icing my feet as I type).

I think I'm going to try an ultimate fit workout tomorrow after a light dinner -- bike the 10/15 minutes to the Y, swim for a half hourk, bike the 10/15 minutes home. I drove the route today and I think I have it where I'm safe enough and avoid the two crazy dangerous crossings near my apartment.

YAY!

So if this works, and I don't absolutely die afterward, I would love to do this once or twice a week. And eventually bike to the park and trail too. Talk about a full lower-body work out! Add core (which I've been doing) and arms (yeah, still getting around to that ....) and I will be set.

The trick, of course, as it always is, is sticking too it.

But I'm excited about my new bike-swim-bike adventure!

No comments: