Wednesday, May 02, 2007

running spill

I went running with D and the pups tonight and it was fun. We ran around his town.

The dogs were so excited to run! It was the first time we brought them out. We ran 10 minutes with them on the leash and then 10 mintues off the leash in this field. It very much felt like running when I was a kid -- wild and free in the grass with the puppies chasing after me.

And then I tripped over Buddy or Scout, possibly both, and went tumbling to the grown.

My very first running spill.

I must have looked really funny because D laughed a little and then ran over. I must have been dazed and confused by the whole thing because I just lay there, my legs twisted funny, the dogs bouncing on me because I was on the ground with him. My knee hurt a bit but D lifted me up and I got back into it running, slowly.

We ran for 10 more minutes for a total of 30 around town. Buddy was good except when he saw another dog. He wanted to go play and would pull me literally a dozen feet before I could get a hold of him. They're strong dogs! But I wore them out because they were too tired the last few minutes and didn't put up the same fuss as before.

So yes, the dogs ran me. But I out ran them!

These last few days running -- in quarry park and now with the pups -- makes me feel so free. I've been taking the watch and going for 30 minutes, with no concern for my pace or the distance. Just whatever feels good. Sometimes it's slower, sometimes faster.

I like not having to map it out and being able to explore different routes. It's really been helping me destress after work -- I think, in part, because I don't have to worry about the run itself. No worries about getting the exact distance in or the right pace. Just running.

I've been toying with buying a Nike+ for my iPod -- it gives you distance and pace and all that good detail -- with out any calculations or distance measurements. And I think it would be pretty cool.

But then I think, will it be as relaxing?

And then I think, maybe I should re-evaluate my running goals.

I'll never be a fast runner. I just wont.

But I can be a distance, plodding-along-at-my-own-pace runner. I have found running outside enjoyable and relaxing, it has helped my mood and helped keep my stress level down. I have fallen in love with running at quarry park and I want to explore other trails and paths around town. And I love running with D and, even with their bounciness, the pups.

Maybe pace and distance, maybe they don't matter.

Maybe I should start measuring my runs, insteady, by time.

I think it will make my training for my next half marathon -- yes, I registered today for a race June 2 -- even more enjoyable and relaxing. Intead of running 8 miles this weekend, I will run for 1:30. 10 miles next weekend? Nope, 2 hours.

I signed up to finish. To give myself a goal. To get myself out the door with my running shoes on. Not to set a new PR.

Although, lets be honest, a PR would be nice.


Time: 30 minutes.

No comments: