Saturday, April 21, 2007

the half marathon.

Ahh, my first half marathon.

Despite all the worries pre-race -- me knees hurt, my big toes hurt, I never ran more than 11 miles training (or ever) -- I did it. I did it and I'm so amazingly proud of myself.

The race itself started off slow, I ran the first two miles at a 12 mile pace with mom. I did this on purpose -- I wanted to make sure to pace myself. And I wanted to run with her because the next 10 miles were on my own.

Running with the pack was fun, and I enjoyed it through the first half. I finally got the hang of drinking at water stations and I kept a good pace, probably close to a 10:30 or 11 minute mile. I was feeling good and there were plenty of people around me.

I cross the half-way point at 1:06 -- an awesome time. An average of a 10:55 minute mile. Woohoo!

But then I saw the bathroom and I panicked. I didn't really have to go, but then I kinda did. Was this my last chance? What if I had to go at the next mile with no loo in sight? When was the next potty?

So I weaved off and stood in line ... for eight agonizing minutes.

In the end, I'm glad I used it. But when I returned to the race the pack had thinned. Where were all the groups?

So the last half was a power of will and sore legs. I took more walking breaks than I expected. I ran the last 6 at an average of a 13:33 minute mile, way down from my cruising pace before. And the thing was, I was passing people, slowly, with walking breaks, but I was.

I walked a lot those last few miles. It was so hard. My legs were stiff and sore and cold. It was hard to stay motivated -- there were few people around, and those that were were struggling. How did I end up at the very end of the pack?

It was so different than running alone. Alone on the trails -- or with D or my mom -- I felt like I was going fast. So fast. But I read after that the average person completed the race in 2 hours -- a half-hour faster than me! It was tough to stay motivated, except that all the families and volunteers and cops were so nice. They cheered me on and made me smile!

I got a new boost of energy when the rain began falling at mile 11. I only had two more miles to go, I was so close. It was refreshing, at least at first. I could do this. But then I was cold and wet. Sure, it had sprinkled a bit at the beginning, but this was an all-out downpour. It even hailed a little.

Memories of my boss came back to me, with a smile, as he would kindly say -- when it dipped below freezing or snowed 5 inches -- "Today could be race day! This weather could be race day!" Those simple words had prepared me for this.

And so, with a few short walking breaks, I crossed the finishing line. They called out my name and I was so proud!!

I had done it! Three months of built up and three months of training and I had finished my first half marathon!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then they wanted me to bend over and unlace my clip.

hahahahaha yeah right.

Thankfully a kind volunteer untied it while I sat down. I was so stiff, so sore. I walked a bit, stretched a bit, ate some fruit they provided and watched for mom, who made it in 3:03.

She wasn't the last one -- but she thought she was last. I was so proud of her! She was smiling so big at the end, I just loved it.

A kind volunteer on a bike named Tom road with her when she got separated from the others so she knew the course. She could have made some short cuts -- others did -- but she didn't. She wanted to go a full half marathon. And she did! And she stayed positive the whole way!

She said knowing I would be waiting at the finish line helped. For me, knowing someone was there to celebrate with helped.

I'm so proud of us!

Then we got free 10 minute massages, went home, showed, iced some sore muscles and went out to lunch, walking oohh so slowly. I think I smiled the whole afternoon, all those good endorphins.

And you know what? We started talking ... about the next race.

... about how we could train better.

... about how I could run under 2:30, maybe even do an 11 minute mile pace (2:24:06) or maybe, if I pushed hard this summer or next year, close to a 10 minute mile pace (2:11:00)

... about what kind of race we should do next, a 10K? Suddenly a 5K doesn't seem like such a big deal!

I'm just so happy right now.

Who would have thought this goal -- which really started because D was on deployment and I needed something to do at night, to accomplish for me -- would become something I enjoy so much.

Who would have thought? :-)

1 comment:

Faithful Soles said...

Congratulations on completing your first half-marathon, and all that you accomplished on your journey to get there. Your entire blog is very inspiring.

If you get a chance, please visit my running web site, Faithful Soles. I have a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database on there and would appreciate it if you would link your blog to it. I know that our members who visit your blog will be inspired by you. Thanks and continued good luck in your training.