Sunday, November 18, 2007

lower than expected

I weighed in at 128 this morning. It was June since I weighed this less and, looking back over the last year, it seems that I've dipped to this weight for only for a few weeks, most notably in March when I was running 10+ miles in preperation for the half marathon. Only once in 2007 did I record a lower weight: 127.5.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with this number. But it's a little unexpected and I'm suspicious -- I haven't been exactly good this week, so how did I drop 2 pounds?

I ran only three days with no cross training (I normally workout at least 5 days). I haven't strength trained in at least two weeks (could it be muscle loss? That would be bad!) My eating has been well portioned but have been eating my fair share of junk: Cocoa just about every night, bread while I'm fixing dinner, on Friday a burrito with cheese and last night some pizza.

But the weird thing is, my three runs have been awesome, besides the heel pain. And I'm half considering going out and dong a few miles today, although I told myself I would go swim. My two miler up the hill was done at a 10-minute mile pace. My three miler, including a mile of fartlek, felt good. My first five miles in five months (since MAY!) was amazing. Falling snow, the crunch of leaves on the trail, the rushing river, feeling alive and warm and insolated in the woods from the cold.

So why shouldn't I be happy with this number? I had other small victories that, honestly, were helped my a hectic night schedule. I haven't been snacking much at work, and when I have it's been a banana or popcorn. I've had chocolate every day (it is my period) but it's been a handful of peanut m&ms or cocoa, nothing exstravegant. I've been eating mostly meals I've prepared like mushroom-totellini soup (mmm) and bbq tempeh. I've included a few glasses of milk a week and, honestly, I feel more satesfied after that meal -- I'm getting more protein. I used portion control. I really wanted pizza last, but didn't eat all my pieces.

And hell, I've been working toward this since the summer. So why shouldn't I enjoy? Why shouldn't I feel proud?

So there it is. I'm accepting this number. It's not a fluke or a coincidence, but a reflection of my ever-better health habits and ever-improving workout schedule. And I'm going to maintain and try to continue to lose through the holiday season. I would love to be 125 when half marathon training starts in January and 120 when I run it in April (which equals about 125 dressed at the doctors office).

But if not, if I stay at 128, I know I'll be satisfied. It is, basically, my lowest weight of the year!

No comments: