Tuesday, November 27, 2007

two life lessons i learned from a book i read on the plane...yes, i know. cliche.

I really overdid the carbs this evening, although I'm not really sure why. It's been a weird day. Going from 80 degrees to 1 degree outside is not fun! Work was slow and awkward and frustrating. Then I got amazingly painful stomach cramps a half-hour before I was suppose to spin. So I skipped spinning, went grocery shopping and made some (surprisingly) yummy tofu-pot-pie. The pie part isn't really even necessary and I might just have to add it to my recipe pile. So no spin, no strength. I told myself I would do yoga or a dvd but that didn't happen. I finished knitting a scarf only to realize that I had another ball of yarn I could have added to it. Yeah, it's been one of those days. I might give it to D since apparently he wants to get together, he called me last week before the trip but I haven't actually heard from him. Yeah, I know. I broke down and left him a message tonight. Two years and to be honest, I wonder if he'll ever be completely out of my life. But we did go through a lot, and maybe that's okay. I started knitting the scarf during his deployment and had a clear vision of myself wearing it while I was bicycling around his house. Obviously that's not going to happen for many reasons. So why not give it away as a clear-my-head peace offering? Or I might donate it to a homeless shelter or something. I'm in one of those moods where I want to say things but really am doubting if I want to mean them. There are two thoughts that keeping bouncing in and out of my mind, though. Because yeah, I read a chick lit book on the plane and these were the major morals of the story. And they really, really apply to me.

1. Forgiveness. I can't move forward until I accept and forgive. I'm starting to realize this applies to many people, including myself.

2. You reap what you sow. Or, which I like better since I'm not a farmer: The grass is not greener on the other side; it's greener because it's watered.

And, has my all-time favorite advice columnist recently said to someone in a much worse situation that I'm in:

When you hit bottom, or near bottom, do two things. Take care of yourself. And take care of others.

Hmmm. My mind is just buzzing tonight.

No comments: