Saturday, January 06, 2007

eating + drinking

Well, I lost a pound this morning. Meaning I'm down two pounds since the beginning of January -- mostly water weight, but I feel good about it.

I've been eating healthy for the last few days, and I want to continue. And I've started exercising again. With D home for leave -- and between all the commitments we made to see family and friends -- there was simply little time to exercise (although I am proud that I got two workouts in the last week.)

And the food over the holidays? I really only endulged on the actual holidays, which I felt good about. And I quickly gave away all the tempting "gifts" people gave me this year. Bags of fudge, chex mix, cookies, sweet bread and chocolate all made its way to my office's conference room. Where it quickly (and thankfully) disappeared.

No, the five pound increase (now a three pound increase) was, I believe, due to the nights of drinking. I don't normally indulge, and if I do it's a glass or two every few months. But with D home, we went out almost every weekend night. And we drank on the holidays too.

So three to five drink a day/night, times two long weekends of drinking ... that's a lot of calories. Especially those sweet martini's I had last weekend. And the thing is, when you drink you eat. Chips, peanuts, pizza -- who cares when you're drunk?

Thinking back over this holiday, it was a good time. D was home (yay!), and we saw family and reconnected with long-lost friends. We laughed, stayed up late, drank and were happy. Until the next morning, when I had a headache and my pants were tight.

I probably wouldn't change the memories. But I would change how much I drank, although in all reality it wasn't that much compared to D or his brother. With only drinking occassionally, I'm still very much a lightweight.

But these past two weeks have been a reminder of why I actually enjoy not drinking. Sure, there's some social stigma to not having a glass -- or five -- when you're out with friends. But the thing is, I much more enjoy waking up refreshed in the morning.

And feeling thin and healthy each morning? Priceless.

No comments: