Tuesday, January 09, 2007

intervals

Oh, the frustrations on New Years resolutions!

The gym was PACKED today. So packed that my regular spinning class was full when I arrived, and all the "good" treadmills (i.e. the fancy new ones) and all the eliptical machines were taken. Two years ago I would have let go of the idea of a hard workout and instead done an easy stationary bike one, maybe while reading a magazine.

But this is the new training-for-a-half-marathon me, so I was determined. Determined to work up a sweat and do some kind of intervals, which spinning usually covers.

So I hopped on an "old" treadmill (circa 1990, I swear) and began my routine. Five minutes of walking to warm up, 5 minutes of stretching on the mat, and then running.

Well, my determination paid off. Not only did a "good" treadmill open up almost immediatly, but running intervals was just as hard as spinning!

Sometimes life -- and exercise -- takes flexibility. :-)

No comments: