Monday, January 08, 2007

still full from lunch

It amazed me, at about 11:30 a.m., that I was still quiet full from breakfast. And at 3 p.m. that I was still full from lunch.

Three weeks ago I would have been looking at the clock, waiting for the minutes until I could have lunch or a snack.

But not today, although I ate less than I would have three weeks ago. I had a sensibly sized breakfast of oatmeal and a banana, and a larger lunch (subway, chips, plus a homemade broccoli salad). Okay, not that large. But large enough to not have a snack today!

As the week progresses, I think I'm slowly "resetting" my stomach. Sure, there are moments where I'm famished, but they occur less and less. I'm also choosing healthier fare. Oatmeal instead of a bagel, a 300-calorie subway sandwich instead of a 600-calorie wrap from the local place.

In fact, I've realized I need about 1,100-1,200 calories to feel full until dinner time. Which is perfect, because then I can have a moderate sized meal. Like today, I had a chic-pea pattie wrap, grapes and a small sweet potato. All said it probably totals 800 calories -- bringing me, today, to a 1,800 calorie total. With plenty of room to have a 100-calorie desert bar yet tonight!

Now some diets in leading health magazines are focusing on a 1,500 calorie diet. Which, to any woman who does even a small amount of exercise, is unrealistic. You might be able to stay on it for a week or two, but then you'll fall off the wagon. Why? Because there's no wiggle room. No room for peanut butter or cheese or chocolate.

With my 1,800 calorie goal (2,000 on days I exercise at least 30 minutes), you can have those comfort foods -- in moderation. As long as portions are small, you eat mostly healthy fare and you exercise consistently, why deprive yourself?

You may think I'm on a diet, with all the calorie totals listed above, but I'm not. A diet is one that leaves you hungry. And on a diet, it's really only a matter of time before you fall off the wagon and gain more weight.

I'm just watching (and writing down) what I eat so I can reset my stomach -- I want to feel full after I ate a well-portioned meal, not a super-sized one. On my healthy eating and exercising plan, I can each chocolate without falling off the wagon.

And that's a plan I can live with.

No comments: