Tuesday, February 06, 2007

diet, gu

I gained a pound this morning (back up to 129) and I didn't drag my butt to the gym this morning, like I planned. I'm working late tonight, but as I lay under my covers dreading the getting up into the cold I rationalized that I could just take an extended dinner hour break from work. And run then.

I read some info online last night about eating to run and about gu, which my triathalon coworker eats regularly on long workouts.

I think I need to make over my diet to include more carbs and less fat (I tend to mostly focus on vegetarian protein and veggies, and cheese and chocolate!). I haven't bought any bread lately and sometimes I'm just too lazy to make rice or pasta (solution: make a few servings at a time and use it later in the week).

Oh, and I figure I should eat gu once I hit running for an hour and 30 minutes, which will likely be by the end of the month. This past six miler completely drained me at the end, and it makes sense that to keep exerting yourself you have to eat (or slurp?) some easily digested gu to refuel and keep going. It looks like peope usually eat (slurp?) it after 45 minutes to an hour on a 1:30 to 2 hour long run, but more investigation might be needed. Now the big question, where do you buy gu?

No comments: