Sunday, February 25, 2007

i can do it

My goal today is 8 miles. I went to bed (and woke up this morning) by doing some positive thinking: I can run 8 miles, I can run 8 miles.

I ate my bagel and banana breakfast, put on my running gear (including my new wick-away t-shirt! I look so sporty!) and have almost finished packing my gym bag.

D recommended mixing some pedia-lite with water instead of drinking a sports drink, so I'm trying that today. He said that's what they drank during military training, when they forced him to run a crazy distances only drill seargants would demand.

So I might as well give it a try.

D said he ran 5 miles yesterday (the first time he ran in a while!) and I can't believe how naturally athletic he is. It took me weeks to work myself up to 5 miles, and he can just go out and run that far? But he reassured me that he'll run the half with me, not ahead of me, because it's more about doing it together. And he said he's not really training (his idea and my idea of training, so different!) and that he'll need to run slower to finish. I'll be the pace bunny. :-)

Because there's a foot of snow outside I'm leaving about a half-hour early, so I can get to the gym on time. I learned a few weeks ago that delaying running too long after you eat will leave you dizzy and unable to perform well.

I'm almost kind of scared to see how snowed in my car is. As I write I'm watching a van try to get out from under a snow-plow induced wall of snow.

If I can't make it, I can always go to the dungeon that is my apartment gym. And run on their one working treadmill. And stare at their wall.

Wish me luck!

No comments: