Tuesday, February 06, 2007

listening

I was running along today on the treadmill and suddenly at the last interva I could feel my heart. I mean, really feel it on the left side of my chest. It scared me so much that I immediately slowed from my interval pace of a 9:20 min. mile. I think my heart rate just got going too fast. I cut the workout a little short by stopping intervals and finished it out with a slow jog for about five minutes, my normal cool down.

It's kind of scary that I could feel my heart, I should probably watch my exertion more. But I'm also glad that I listened to my body. There's a difference between running through pain and running through PAIN, and I don't want to wreck my running career before it even begins!

I also got some great eating advice from my triathalon coworker. He suggested eating a bagel, OJ and a banana an hour or so before a long run, and then refueling with an hour afterward with a protein-rich lunch or smoothy. (Wooohoo! Tofu smoothy!)

D also suggested getting something called muscle milk to drink before/after a long run, and then some whey protein powder to mix into smoothies during the week. Now I always thought that loading up on protein was a muscle builder thing -- but I can see the advantage of extra protein for me. Being a vegetarian and all, there's really only so much tofu and beans I can eat!

Distance: 2.3 miles
Time: 25 minutes
Pace: 10:52
Intervals: 6 speed, 2:1
Heart pains: 1

No comments: