Monday, February 26, 2007

loosing weight

I've fully recovered from my 8 mile jaunt yesterday, although the back of my legs remain slightly sore.

My quick recovery must mean two things: 1) I'm becoming healthier and fitter and 2) I'm eating right to help speed up recovery.

But this second conclusion is a little hard to swallow, mostly because my weight during this whole training, has not dipped below last-year's high of 128. (Granted, I lost the 4 holiday pounds I put on since I began running in January... but still).

My scale has not budged! It's been at 128 for a quite a few weeks now, sometimes bouncing up for a day but pretty much hovering there.

I thought that training for this race would help me kick-start my weight loss. My real goal is to loose 3 lbs -- that's it, just 3! -- because my clothes are just a tad tight. And 125 is such a nice number.

And it's not that I feel fat, really. I feel strong. When I was 125 last summer, I didn't feel strong. I couldn't run far, I had lost most my aerobic energy, my legs were not as toned. Strong, but not thin.

I feel like I'm eating well to fuel by body. I'm mindful of eating lots of protein and carbs, where as before I might forgo carbs and instead eat more veggies or fruit than I do now, which is a lot.

I remember D teasing me one morning, when he said: Want some cereal with your fruit?

Now I eat a normal cereal portion because you need carbs to run long. And I swear, I've been measuring out my serving sizes!

(Although I did eat two servings of ice cream yesterday. What's the point of running so far if you can't at least indulge a little?)

So that leaves me with four things to try, as I do want to loose those 3 lbs before D returns at the beginning of April. It'll be spring, and really swim suit season is not that far off.

So here the three things...

1. Write everything down. I've let my food diary slip.
2. Only eat pre-planned snacks. Or fruit. Yes, I'm guilty of eating a handful of pasta or cereal or a slice of bread with hummus before dinner.
3. Leave one bite of food on my plate.
4. For desert, implement the three bite rule. I can have desert a few times a week, but I need to savor each bite. And only eat three bites.

That should cut the 2-300 extra calories I'm eating each day, enough to loose a pound a week or so, without really damaging my running or refueling.

No comments: