Friday, February 09, 2007

seven miles

I ran seven miles today, breaking yet another record of the longest I've ever run (This is fun! New record every week!) and I feel good.

The bagel and banana breakfast and then splitting the muscle milk before and after the run really helped. I also took some running advice and ate pasta last night, which I hear is important before a long run the next day. And all that wisdom worked! Not once did I feel faint or sick to my stomach, and in all reality I felt strong after mile three. To my surprise, despite my short walking break, I also ran seven miles at a pace faster than Sunday's six miles, probably because I fueled myself better.

Running on the treadmill at the gym was boring, but not nearly as boring as my apartment complex's treadmill. I can't wait for warmer weather! I've been searching online for new trails around here, and it turns out there's a 14 mile trail about 20 minute's from D's house. That's more than a half-marathon -- think I can do it this summer?

On an aside, I've leaving tomorrow for this work trip. I have mixed feelings. I'm excited about the opportunity, nervous about sharing a 20-hour van ride both ways with strangers (I like my privacy!), stressed about producing award-winning work and tired just thinking about it. I've set aside one pair of running clothes to bring with me, and I've printed out directions to the nearest YMCA there, but I just don't know if I'll be able to swing it.

But I have to count my blessings, too. This is an awesome opportunity and, of everyone at work, they picked me! And it's definately making the time until D comes home from deployment go faster. He's thinking he'll be here by April 18 -- which means 9 weeks!! We're in the home stretch.

D's agreed to run the half-marathon with me, at my pace (!!!!) even though he's one of those crazy-talented natural athletes that can run a 7 min. mile. It's a week or so after he get home, and I think the 13.1 miles has become symbolic, in a way, of our relationship during this deployment. I can't wait to cross the finish line and give him a big kiss! :-)

Distance: 7 miles
Time: 1 hour 23 minutes
Avg. Pace: 11:51 min. mile
Walked: 1 time, for .1 mile at mile 5
Guy slowly walking around track while reading a novel: 1

No comments: